Now that we understand that the endocannabinoid system is a bodily system that’s found not only in humans but in all mammals, more researchers are studying the fascinating effects of cannabidiol (CBD) on our furry friends. It is understood that cats and dogs are capable of processing CBD in the same way that we do. So, it is no wonder why the CBD pet market is booming then. Therefore, it is more than likely that you have at least considered giving your pet CBD.
If you’re interested in starting your pet on a CBD regimen, there is one thing that you absolutely must do- speak to your veterinarian beforehand. Your vet for the most part is more aware of your pet’s wellness history than you are. That means they might be able to guide you through the process in a way that’s extremely helpful.
- What Questions Should You Be Asking Then?
- Question #1: Do You Have any Experience with CBD and Pets?
- Question #2: What is the Ideal Milligram Strength?
- Question #3: What is the Ideal Dosage Level?
- Question #4: How Many Doses Can I Give Them Per Day?
- Question #5: Does It Matter Whether It’s Full Spectrum, Broad Spectrum, or CBD Isolate?
- Question #6: Is There a Particular Brand That You Can Recommend?
- Question #7: Is There a Superior Administration Method for My Pet?
- Your Vet Still Knows Best
What Questions Should You Be Asking Then?
So, when ready to bring up the conversation about CBD with your veterinarian, there are some key questions that should be raised.
Question #1: Do You Have any Experience with CBD and Pets?
While not imperative that they do, it does help due to having better insight into the process of giving them CBD. Also, it means that they will be more likely to know exactly what CBD is capable of doing for your cat or dog.
If they have not actually administered CBD to a cat or dog in the past, that doesn’t mean that they have zero knowledge about the relationship between hemp and small mammals. Perhaps they are familiar with the reputable clinical studies performed to show the relationship between CBD administration and the wellness of cats and dogs.
Question #2: What is the Ideal Milligram Strength?
The milligram strength within a CBD product’s formula determines how much actual CBD your pet is getting per dose. That’s why it is important that you bring this up with your veterinarian. Your vet should be able to give you an idea of which milligram strength is right for your furry companion. The correct milligram strength for your pet is largely determined by their body weight. Although, their breed could actually play a role as well.
Question #3: What is the Ideal Dosage Level?
After the milligram strength is determined, it is time to talk about the dosage level. While the milligram strength determines how much cannabidiol they are consuming per dose, the dosage level must be decided also. Now, most CBD products have the proper dosage level printed on the labeling. However, your veterinarian may feel that your pet will respond better to a higher or lower dose than what’s recommended by the manufacturer.
Question #4: How Many Doses Can I Give Them Per Day?
Maybe your veterinarian has a unique concern about your pet. For example, they may feel that two doses per day are far better than one. It’s best to go by what the directions read on the label, coupled again with their recommendation.
Question #5: Does It Matter Whether It’s Full Spectrum, Broad Spectrum, or CBD Isolate?
As you may or may not know, there are three different types of hemp extracts:
- Full spectrum extract contains every compound naturally found in the hemp plant material that was used to create the extract, and this includes a trace amount of THC.
- Broad spectrum hemp extract contains every plant compound except for THC.
- CBD isolate is simply pure cannabidiol without the other plant compounds.
CBD is only one of the many compounds found in hemp. There are also other cannabinoids, as well as terpenes and flavonoids, and each of these compounds has their own unique properties. Your veterinarian may feel that one type of extract is better for your pet based on their unique needs and bodily chemistry.
Question #6: Is There a Particular Brand That You Can Recommend?
There are a lot of CBD pet products on the market today. However, not all of them are created with the highest standards in mind. This is why you might want to ask your veterinarian about CBD pet brands. They may be able to suggest a product that they know for a fact is superior because they have used it themselves or recommended it to other individuals.
Luckily for you, Pure CBD Now carries a wide range of reputable brands that produce high-quality CBD pet products.
Question #7: Is There a Superior Administration Method for My Pet?
There are three main types of CBD products for pets: tinctures, edibles, and topicals.
- Tinctures are oil-based products that are administered under the tongue or mixed with food. They are available in a wide array of strengths and flavors.
- Edibles are treats that contain hemp extract that are also available in a wide array of milligram strengths and flavors.
- Topicals applied to the skin, allowing the compounds to absorb into the layers of the skin and muscular tissue. Topical products can be found in different formulas, solutions, and strengths.
Each type of administration method supplies your pet with an adequate amount of CBD, but some are better suited for particular situations than others. Ask your veterinarian which type of administration method is right based on what’s going on with your pet. Your vet will likely be able to guide you in the right direction.
Your Vet Still Knows Best
These days, a lot of pet owners are interested in giving their furry companion CBD for a number of reasons. Again, cats and dogs, like us, have endocannabinoid systems that process the unique compounds in hemp efficiently. And, this is mainly why more CBD companies are creating products that are specially formulated for our pets. If you feel that your pet may benefit from CBD, speak to your veterinarian first, and then go over each of these questions with them thoroughly.
Other CBD products for dogs that you can buy from Pure CBD Now:
- Hempzilla CBD Joint & Muscle Dog Treats – Provides your dog relief from joint and muscle pain. A blend of THC-free broad-spectrum hemp, Anivestin, circuminoids, and turmeric.
- Jolly Green Oil CBD For Dogs 250mg – Delivers an effective formila for a dog’s cannabidiol need. Ingredients include CBD isolate extract and MCT oil, the recipe is completely organic and free of additives and fillers.
- TruBlu CBD for CATS (Blue Fin Tuna Flavor) 30ml 250mg CBD – For cats needing CBD. This product can provide your cat’s require,ent in tuna flavor.